Wednesday, 6 January 2010

Snow Day in the UK!


No work, no school today!  We have been blanketed with up to 40cm (16 inches) of snow in the area where I live.  The UK has not seen this much snow in decades.  Some parts of Scotland have seen temperatures plummet to -20 degrees Celcius, and much of the country is covered in snow, although the south of England, where I live, got the brunt of it today.  Gatwick airport was closed and  many homes are without power after heavy snow brought down power lines, but we're fine here.  The snow has now let up, but widespread ice will become the next problem, and many parts of the UK are slowly running out of gritting supplies.

 


The neighbour decided to build a big snowman, and someone walked by with their St. Bernard dog as I took the above photo, and it looked right at home in the snow.  This is the road outside my house. The truck at the bottom of the hill got stuck and the driver had to abandon it. It has been eerily quiet today, quieter than a Sunday morning, as people actually heeded warnings not to travel unless it was essential. I have only seen one vehicle drive past the house today and it was a four wheel drive. On a normal day, you can hear traffic passing and sometimes, depending on wind direction, you can hear the sounds of traffic from the motorway nearby, but not today.

I like the silence.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment