Sunday, 10 January 2010

An Inukwhat...?

You might be wondering what that symbol is in my profile box to the right, next to my screen name, Mediatorsk, and since it has been amusingly mistaken for a symbol of a temple, I thought I should take the time to explain what it means.



It is an inuksuk (plural inuksuit, alternatively inukshuk in English), or more precisely, the symbol I am using is an inunnguaq, a cairn representing a human figure. Inuksuit vary in shape and size, but the most common type is a single stone positioned in an upright manner.  It is used by the Inuit as a symbol of communication and survival.  These landmarks can be found from Alaska to Greenland.

Inuksuit are recognized around the world as an iconic Canadian symbol. The logo for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics is an inunnguaq, rather than an inuksuk, because of its human shape.  The symbol became personal for me when my mother gave me a silver inukshuk necklace several years ago. I was quite the traveller when I was younger and my mother felt it was a fitting gift.

I found this interesting video in which Peter Irniq, Inuit cultural activist and a former Nunavut commissioner, explains the meaning of an inukshuk, and how it differs from an inunnguaq.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting and great video. Thank you for the information :)

    ReplyDelete