Wednesday, 30 December 2009

New Blog for a New Year...

Well, I have accomplished one of my resolutions for the new year before it has even started - I have finally created a blog all of my own. This is what I wish to accomplish this year:

  • Find a job, ideally one where I can use my linguistic abilities
  • Complete my TESOL course within the next six months and ultimately find a job teaching English to people who actually want to learn
  • If I can accomplish the above goals, then I would like to work on finding that special someone to share my life with, if I have the strength and courage to do so. But, relationships have a way of creeping up on you, usually when you least expect it... 
  •  
- - - - -  

This week, I watched the brand new British re-make of John Wyndham's sci-fi classic, Day of the Triffids, a lovely, apocalyptic story about flesh eating plants that gorge themselves on the human race. 

In this version by Patrick Harbinson, starring Dougray Scott, Joely Richardson, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, Eddie Izzard and Jason Priestley, the Triffids are cultivated as a source of alternative fuel called Triffoil. When a solar storm leaves most of the world's population blinded, millions of  the man-eating plants escape the cultivation farms and begin to roam Britain in search of lunch.

The Triffids themselves are computer generated, unlike their rubbery predecessors. They make scary sounds, and pouring salt water on them won't kill them, as in previous versions of the film. The method which is discovered to survive the Triffid attacks in this version is an interesting one, although not entirely convincing, in my opinion, but I cannot say why at this point without revealing too much.  


On the whole, it was an acceptable adventure with some thrilling moments, and others that are best forgotten.  










 




2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the fine art of blogging my friend :) Will be interesting to see what you will coook up here on this blog.

    Good luck with all your new year's resolutions - they all sound good and realistic and I know you will fix all of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya

    Draven-uk here from Fan Nation.

    I watched The Day of the Triffids too. Like you I quite enjoyed it and it had some interesting spins on the old tale but it ultimately felt rather unsatisfying...a little lightweight considering the talent involved. It sure did look good, though. The trifids themselves were cool and creepy.

    Best of luck with your goals for 2010. :)

    ReplyDelete